Tuesday 1 December 2009

It's Tree O'Clock!

Tree planting is an practical and fun way to demonstrate commitment to a cause.



Recently politicians of all colours have been making the journey down to Sipson to plant trees on the Airplot as part of efforts to physically block the construction of the third runway at Heathrow.

Representatives from Reading including outgoing Labour MP Martin Salter and prospective council candidates joined in one session, while celebrities combined forces with RBWM leader Cllr David Burbage and LibDem leader Nick Clegg MP on another.

Tree-planting ceremonies are always matched with the standard photo call - so you can always tell who was there for publicity purposes and who really got their hands dirty!

Meanwhile as part of National Tree Week the BBC has teamed up with the Guinness Book of Records in an attempt to break the World Record for the largest number of trees planted in an hour. Over 600,000 trees are hoped to be planted from 11am-12noon on Saturday 5th December at sites across the country.

Reading Borough Council has provided 7,000 saplings to be planted at the South Whitley Recreation Ground on Longbarn Lane which will be available on a first come, first served basis - all you need to do is provide a spade!

For more information visit the BBC's Breathing Places mini-site.

-

Update: Reading Post also advertises the world record attempt.

LibDem Cllr Gareth Epps says he'll be there to take part and plant a tree.

Oranjepan says:
Just remember to take a photo so that your efforts can be verified!

3 comments:

  1. I never know about any of this stuff until I read your blog. What would I do without it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What would you do?

    I'm sorry I couldn't answer that one - sometimes I get a bit sulky with what I write (it probably shows) because things could be easier, but there's always a pupose at the end of all the meandering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been a member of the Woodland Trust uninterruptedly since I was 14- imagine that? So I have quite strong views on trees :)

    I persuaded my parents to plant fruit trees in their garden (as I haven't got one myself). So we'll be getting some apples, plums, pears & cherries next year with any luck.

    Reading the works of Graham Harvey ("The Killing Of The Countryside" is a good one to ask one of your chums to get you for Christmas if you haven't read it already) convinced me that ryegrass (your common bog-standard shite grass in most areas) is close to worthless environmentally. So I'd advocate getting rid of it in your garden for trees- unlike most of this grow your own business it requires little work, which is always a puls when you have a long, shite job & don't want to do any further toiling.

    Harvey, furthermore, made the intellectual case for eating (properly farmed) meat to my satisfaction. But I think, having been a vegetarian for 2 years, that I'll stay one.

    You know what else? I really can't for the fucking life of me distinguish between different types of trees. Be they oak, birch, rowan, hazel or whatever, don't ask me! But I see their value to us. Worth noting is that all trees are not equal, because for example ancient, native woodland is more valuable.

    Sorry about the delay- was unaware of it before you twatted it. Imagine that!

    PS-
    The WT have a book on their webshite called "A Walk In The Woods" which I have bought for my mum & might make a nice gift for anyone you know who is into that kind of business.

    ReplyDelete




"Reading List... is fantastic, it could help revolutinise politics in Reading"
Matt Blackall

"Prolific"
Matt Brady

"Irrelevant"
Adrian Windisch

"Bizarre"
Reading Geek Night

"A bloggers digest of the Berkshire blogosphere"
DMOZ

"An easily accessible collection of Berkshire's excellent blogs"
The Cookham Blogger

"An excellent digest of the thoughts of local bloggers"
Reading Guide

...